INDEX 1745  GLOBAL MURALS  PRESTONPANS  ARTS FESTIVAL  GOTHENBURG FOWLERS..


Home

Origins & History

Heritage & Museum

Clan Court & Household

University Press

Regalia

Golfing Delights

Appointments

Court Records

Picture Gallery

Manor of Milton Malsor
Oceana
East Lodge Prestonpans
Laird of Glencairn

Barga
Shop Online

News & Email

Search
Site News

Prestonpans and Vicinity

Cover Contents 1 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24 26
28 30 32 33 34 36 38 40 42 44 46 48 50 52 54 56 58 60 62 64
66 68 70 72 74 76 78 80 81 82 84 86 88 90 92 94 96 98 100 102
104 106 108 110 112 114 116 118 120 122 124 126 128 130 132 134 136 138 140 142
144 146 148 150 152 154 156 158 160 162 164 166 168 170 172 174 176 177 178 180
182 184 186 188 190 192 194 196 198 200 201 202 204 206 208 209 210 212 214 216
218 220 222 224 226 228 229 230 232 234 236 238 240 242 244 246 248 249 250 252
254 256 257 258 259 260 261                          

remains or has been, there is sure to be a dovecot adjacent to it.
Through this we have been led to inquire, What if the ancient church of Preston, the church which Hertford burned along with Preston Tower in 1544, was situated in this neighbourhood? If all the family papers in connection with the Tower and Preston estate were destroyed with the Tower in 1544, very likely all papers and books in connection with the sacred edifice would be destroyed during the same conflagration; at all events not a vestige remains, or at least has ever turned up, to show whether that church was located in upper or lower Prieststown. The House of Newbattle had no sympathy with the Reformation which set in during this period, and so they let not only the old monkish building go out of existence, but allowed all knowledge of its whereabouts to die with it.
If it was located in the upper village, which Davidson's " appointment to South Prestoun" plainly indicates, then it was undoubtedly situated in this opening. Whether there ever was a churchyard adjoining it would be difficult to determine, but a great many stones built into the west dyke have inscriptions on them, and look as if they were parts of old tombstones, while no end of broken-up fluted columns are wedged into all the surrounding walls. These look as if they had been previously used for church building purposes.
Our earliest impressions were, that if the original church was located at Preston it must have been adjacent to the Tower; but Preston Tower is situated within the barony of Preston, with which the monks of Newbattle had nothing to do, whereas Northfield is situated within the barony of Prestongrange, with which they had much to do.
THE DOWER HOUSE, OR BARRACKS.
The building known by the above names is situate about the centre of the old village of Preston. Its front faces southwards. It is a two-storied building of no great height, with three very smart little upper windows, high peaked. Over the west window are a coat of arms and the letters I. H., evidently meant for John Hamilton. On the centre window is a monogram forming the letters K. H. S., with the date 1628, while over the eastern window is another coat of arms and the letters K. S.
Proceeding down the thoroughfare northwards leading to Prestonpans, the fine hollow squire of the old house looking westwards catches the eye. That this has been the chief entrance to the house is evident from the fine fluted stonework abounding alike over doors and windows.
What seems to have been the main door on the outshot part of the building is clumsily built up, and another broken out, simply spoiling a very handsome building.
Over this doorway is a beautifully cut shield, in grand preservation; beneath it are two rose branches, one spreading either way; on the lower part of the shield is a finely-cut rose or cinquefoil, on the opposite side a star. On the upper side of the shield are two roses or cinquefoils, and opposite them are three circles, while rising proudly up over the shield is a very large rose or cinquefoil.
High over the chief entrance is a neatly-cut window, surmounted by a thistle head of no mean growth. Beneath the thistle are the finely-carved face and wings representative of an angel, while beautifully cut out in the stone beneath the window is the following:
" Praised be the Lord, my
Strength and my Redeemer. "
This house is set down in certain gazetteers as that which was built for Hamilton when he was burned out of Preston Tower by Lord Hertford. Now, as the Tower was burned by Hertford in 1544; repaired, and again inhabited; burned down by Cromwell in 1650, and again repaired and inhabited; burned accidentally in 1663, never more to be inhabited; and that Preston House was built the following century as a substitute, it is evident this was built in 1628 for a very different purpose.
It was originally called the Dower House. Thus it would seem to have been built for a Dowager Lady Hamilton. It is evident that Sir John Hamilton seems to have been the builder, and probably K. S. was his mother, the widow of Sir George Hamilton. Sir John's second wife died in 1629, and he had a third wife. If his widowed mother was still alive previous to 1628, it need cause no surprise if she, amid the coming and going of her various daughters-in-law, expressed a desire for a habitation of her own, and had the Dower House built. Whoever the house was built for, it has served many purposes since then, not the least among which was that of a barracks for a portion of the army during the great " French invasion " scare about 1797.
In connection with this subject, said the late General Sir Robert Cadell: " It may be interesting to state that the late
Back to top