The Manor of Milton Malsor - May 14th
The forthcoming 107th Edition of Burke's
Peerage & Baronetage will include all Scottish Barons
including Prestoungrange & Dolphinstoun and under the article
for Prestoungrange it will record that in 1979 he and Lady Avril
purchased and restored The Manor House at Milton Malsor, and that
he is the incumbent Lord of the Manor. A short history is available.
The history of the Manor from Domesday when it was held in the
honor of William Peverel, a natural son of William the Conqueror,
is well documented in several books of which e-files are available
here at the Prestoungrange University Press. The Rev. B E Evans
wrote the fullest account in 1924, The
Story of Milton Malzor, and that was lately reprinted in 1997
by Prestoungrange and his colleagues at MCB University Press for
the Holy Cross Church.
The other major record, with elegant sketches of the Manor House
and the Dovecote from 1937, reprinted in 1970, is the Victorian
County History Series A History of the County of Northampton Volume
IV, pp271-276, wherein Margery Fletcher contributed an essay.
There is also an excellent photograph of the Holy Cross Church.
click on images to enlarge
here to view the Domesday Entry in Latin
Finally of course, there is the Domesday Entry in Latin and Translation
as shown below. Copies of both are held at The Manor House for
the whole of Northamptonshire.
Click here to view the Domesday Translation
Finally a selection of photographs shows the Manor, The Barn
and the Dovecote at the turn of the twenty first century.
Click on images to enlarge