| " 1694. George Andrews, A. M. Translated from Tarbolton;
called 25th May, and admitted loth October 1694. He attended
in Edinburgh as representative of the Presbytery during the
sitting of Parliament in 1695, and complained of being ' leased
in the first tithes payable to him, by the laird of Fingalton.
' This would be Sir William Hamilton. He was translated to
Edinburgh New North Church 1699.
" 1792. Robert Horsburgh, A. M. Translated from Glenholm,
11th November 1701; admitted 29th April, succeeding after
a protracted vacancy, owing to the Laird of Prestongrange
wishing another. In 1710 he complained of the church being
unsafe, owing to the coal waste beneath, and for some months
the congregation was obliged to meet in a barn at Preston.
Repairs were ordered after long litigation. He was a man of
solid judgment, and an able disputant and preacher. He died
25th March 1724, age about fifty-four. He married Janet Somervaill,
and from him descended in the fourth degree, the Rev. W. B.
" 1724. William Carlyle, A. M. Translated from Cummerlees;
called 24th, and admitted 26th November, and died in his seventy-sixth
year. He was a highly popular preacher, and though an orthodox
and pious minister, had a great turn for fun and buffoonery.
Dr Alex. Carlyle of Inveresk was a son of his.
" 1765. James Roy, from St Cuthbert's Chapel of Ease,
Edinburgh, presented by Mrs Janet Grant, Prestongrange.
"1768. Mathew Reid. Translated from Prestonkirk, and
presented by the Countess of Hyndford. He was a shy, retiring,
yet earnest-minded man, and also a great florist and cultivator
of tulips. On one occasion, a person of weak intellect got
into his garden during divine service, and having adorned
himself all over in these gaudy trophies, he sallied into
the church. The minister was engaged at the time in prayer,
but, hearing the titter which overran the congregation at
the new intrusion, he opened his eyes, to discover the poor
lad in his showy dress, and forgetting for the instant the
solemnity of his devotion, he ejaculated ' Oh Lord ! my tulips
"1771. Joseph M'Cormack, D. D. Translated from Temple,
and presented by the Countess of Hyndford.
" 1783. John Trotter. Presented by John, Earl of Hyndford.
"1796. Peter Primrose. Translated from Dalgetty, and
presented by Janet, Countess of Hyndford.
" 1833. William Bruce Cunningham, presented by Sir James
Grant Suttie of Balgone and Prestongrange, Bart., April;
ordained 5th July 1833. On adhering to the protest in the
Free Secession, and signing the deed of demission, he was
declared no longer a minister of the church, 24th May 1843.
He married, 2nd April 1834, a daughter of the Hon. David Douglas
of Reston, one of the Lords of Session. "
The Rev. Dr Struthers, who was tutor to the Wemyss family
at the Disruption, was appointed to the charge on 4th July
1844 by Sir George Grant Suttie, who was patron of the parish
at that period. He received the degree of LL. D. from the
University of St Andrews for his antiquarian research. He
was minister for the long period of forty-four years.
Rev. George Stewart Smith, present minister, who had been
assistant to Dr Struthers, was appointed minister of the parish,
14th May 1889; was married on the 15th July 1896 to Victoria
Alberta Grant Suttie, third youngest daughter of Sir James
Grant Suttie, Bart, of Prestongrange.