Prestonpans and Vicinity
ON setting out in quest of material for this work, we had
not the slightest idea that from the ancient Baronies of Cuthill,
Preston, and Prestongrange, such a harvest of curious, antiquated,
and interesting lore was to be reaped.
We have spared no pains in striving to gather in these historical
and traditional gems. And in this we have been greatly furthered
by others. For assistance rendered we specially thank the
Right Hon. Lady Susan H. Grant Suttie of Prestongrange;
the Rev. George Stuart Smith, Minister of the Parish;
William Crawford M'Ewan, Esq., M. D., Provost of the Burgh;
William Brown Dunlop, Esq., Edinburgh; Walter Ross Munro Esq.,
Prestonpans; the Rev. Dr Calder Macphail, Prestonpans; the
Rev. Hugh Miller Williamson, Tranent; John Wright, Esq., Preston;
and last, though not least, the Misses Margaret and Mary Taylor
of West Seton.
|Historical, Ecclesiastical and Traditional.
IntroductionCurious Notes from GazetteersTraditional
Monks of Newbattle, 1184Salt Making, 1189AlthamerAldhammer
Burning of the Church, 1544Davidson appointed
Minister, 1595 Formation of Parish, 1505-6 A
Burgh of Barony, 1617 Licensed Public-houses, 1796ValuationPopulation,
etc., 1901Benefit Societies: Hammermen, Potters, &c.
THE Parish of Prestonpans, though the smallest in Haddingtonshire,
is not the least worthy of note among its neighbours. Not
only has it given birth to several great men, but it has been
the residence from time to time throughout the past centuries
of men who have helped in a measure to form and fashion the
history of the nation.
It is bounded on the east and south-east by Tranent; on the
south-west by Tranent and Inveresk; and on the north by the
Firth of Forth. Its length along the coast is about 2 1/2
miles, its breadth barely 1 1/4 mile, and it contains
within its very limited dimensions the villages of Cuthill,
Dolphinstone, Preston, and Preston Links. It covers altogether
an area of 1,429 1/2 acres, of which a little over 135 are
foreshore. The prevailing soil throughout the district s loam,
partly heavy on a clay bottom, partly light on a gravelly
bottom, and considerably over 1, 000 acres are under cultivation.
The surface rises gently from the shore, attaining a height
of 200 feet above sea-level at the Tranent border. The beach