The Prestoungrange Gothenburg's Origins and Principles
The Prestoungrange Gothenburg was built in 1908 by the directors
of the East of Scotland Public House Trust Company, a goal they
had had since their establishment in 1901 in Edinburgh. It was
to be a public house in the best traditions of the temperance
movement, and was constructed on land acquired from Belfield,
the potters, which had previously been within the Prestoungrange
Baronial lands of the Grant Sutties. The founders were men of
distinction including Thomas Nelson III and a future Governor
General of Australia and Secretary of State for Scotland, Lord
Novar. The full story is told by the Baron of Prestoungrange in
Booklet No. 13 - The Prestoungrange Gothenburg.
The name Gothenburg was not formally adopted until the late 1980s
having been originally called the Trust House and subsequently
the Forth Tavern. But the name had strong roots from 19th Century
Sweden where intemperance derived from vodka had been a massive
problem. Home manufacture was made illegal in Sweden and the cities
were called upon to license public houses as well.
|The City Fathers of Gothenburg resolved to address
their duties by allowing only fixed interest rates on loan
finance and diverting the profits to Public Sector Services.
Public house managers were only bonus-ed for the sale of food
and non alcoholic beverages.
By the start of the 20th Century more than a few public houses
had been taken over by such Trusts and several built anew
- in the manner of the Prestoungrange Trust House.
For nearly a century it served the mining community and its successors
in Prestonpans, under a series of owners. It passed from the founding
trustees to the London based Trust Houses in 1919 and then to
Bass. Finally before John and Scott Murray acquired and closed
it for conversion to a private home, two landlords conducted the
business - James and Judith Bell and Malcolm McIlwraith. By the
late 90s trade had declined dramatically and there was no commitment
to make it live again in the very different world Prestonpans
It was at this time that the Barons of Prestoungrange and of Dolphinstoun
conceived their grand plan which has now unfolded. Today, a significantly
experienced team led by Anne Taylor as CEO offers the Pans world
clan facilities in an historic setting on the shores of the Firth