Prestonpans is surrounded by myriad fine golf courses, none more famous that the Royal Musselburgh housed today in the old baronial hall of Prestoungrange.
A comprehensive guide to the area is available online here.
Sarah Powell of Burke's
Peerage wrote a informative overview for East Lothian Life
The Royal Musselburgh Golf Club, founded in 1774, was originally played over the famous 9 hole links course situated in Musselburgh. In 1926 the move was made to the present location at Prestongrange House, Prestonpans. This engaging parkland course was designed by James Braid and affords wonderful vistas over Edinburgh and the Firth of Forth. The front nine provide a fair challenge, but beware the "sting in the tail"; the final third of the course can make or break a score. Royal Musselburgh has in its possession a silver cup, known as the "Old Club Cup", dating from 1774. This is the oldest cup in the world still played for competitively today and can be admired in the magnificent clubhouse. The recent history of the Club published on its 225th Anniversary is available for sale as illustrated here.
Management & Secretary Thomas Hardie
Golf Professional & Starter John Henderson
Ph: 01875 810 139
T: +44 (0) 1875 810 276
F: +44 (0) 1875 810 276
Established 1774 (Course in 1926)
Length in Yards 6237
Course SSS 70
Course Architect James Braid