INDEX 1745  GLOBAL MURALS  PRESTONPANS  ARTS FESTIVAL  GOTHENBURG FOWLERS..


Home

Origins & History

Heritage & Museum

Clan Court & Household

University Press

Regalia

Golfing Delights

Appointments

Court Records

Picture Gallery

Manor of Milton Malsor
Oceana
East Lodge Prestonpans
Laird of Glencairn

MBE

Barony of Lochnaw

Barga
Shop Online

News & Email

Search
Site News

1547 - Battle of Pinkie Cleugh: Finding Out Much More ...

East Lothian Archaeology Fortnight includes Pinkie Battlefield Tour

Commencing @ 1.30pm, there's a minibus tour of Pinkie Cleugh Battlefield. It's on Sunday September 4th just 6 days before, September 10th 1547, the last pitched battle in the last war between the kingdoms of Scotland and England. It took place in open country to the south of Musselburgh.

The English were striving to unite the crowns of the two countries by coercing marriage between their child sovereigns (Edward VI and Mary, Queen of Scots). The massive Battle of Pinkie Cleugh was a tragic defeat for the Scots but the outcome of the war was the marriage of Mary not to Edward, but to the heir to the throne of France!

This exciting tour by mini-bus, guided by members of the Pinkie Cleugh Battlefield Group, will visit the sites at which the main events of the battle took place. There will be short walks on level ground at some stops.

N.B. Booking is very much required at a cost of £7 per person. Duration 3 hours. Ph: 01620 827408 or email direct HERE @ bookings@eastlothian.gov.uk

__________________________________________________________

Ed: The Battle of Prestonpans 1745 Heritage Trust is totally committed to co-operating with the Pinkie Cleugh Battlefield Group as well as with the 1650 Dunbar Battle Celebrators. There is certainly scope in the years ahead for the creation of battlefield interpretation across the county following on the Govenment's / Historic Scotland's initiatives over the past three years.

Pinkie has particularly close connections with the Pans since the English army camped at Morrison's Haven [then known as Acheson's Haven] and was supplied from the sea.

Published Date: July 29th 2011


Back Back to top
ugg pas cher bottes fourr¨Ĥes ugg ugg bottes