The Manor of Milton Malsor
The forthcoming 107th Edition of Burke's Peerage & Baronetage will include all Scottish Barons including Prestoungrange & Dolphinstoun and under the article for Prestoungrange it will record that in 1979 he and Lady Avril purchased and restored The Manor House at Milton Malsor, and that he is the incumbent Lord of the Manor. A short history is available.
The history of the Manor from Domesday when it was held in the honor of William Peverel, a natural son of William the Conqueror, is well documented in several books of which e-files are available here at the Prestoungrange University Press. The Rev. B E Evans wrote the fullest account in 1924, The Story of Milton Malzor, and that was lately reprinted in 1997 by Prestoungrange and his colleagues at MCB University Press for the Holy Cross Church.
The other major record, with elegant sketches of the Manor House and the Dovecote from 1937, reprinted in 1970, is the Victorian County History Series A History of the County of Northampton Volume IV, pp271-276, wherein Margery Fletcher contributed an essay. There is also an excellent photograph of the Holy Cross Church.
click on images to enlarge
Finally of course, there is the Domesday Entry in Latin and Translation as shown below. Copies of both are held at The Manor House for the whole of Northamptonshire.
Click here to view the Domesday Entry in Latin
Click here to view the Domesday Translation
Finally a selection of photographs shows the Manor, The Barn and the Dovecote at the turn of the twenty first century.
Click on images to enlarge
Published Date: May 14th 2003